(Delivered on September 30, 1953 at Prayer Meeting)
The Secret Place
Matthew 6:6 - But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
1. Moses gave no command nor regulations concerning prayer.
2. Little is said in the O.T. about the responsibility of praying – although we do have some outstanding examples of prayer.
3. It is Jesus who lays down the responsibility of the child of God to pray. By His own example He creates a desire for prayer and He condescends to teach us to pray as He prayed.
Let us note His instructions:
I. THERE MUST BE A SECRET PLACE FOR PRAYER
1. The Place itself is not significant (John 4:21-22)
2. God is a Spirit (John 4:24)
1) Cannot be worshipped with the carnal mind and eye
2) We must withdraw to meet God
3) We need to shut out the world and shut up with God.
3. Example (Matt. 14:23; 26:39; Mark 1:35; Luke 22:39)
II. THIS IS THE PLACE WHERE YOU’LL MEET THE FATHER
1. The Father waits for me there
1) May be cold and prayerless. “As a father pitieth his children, so the Lord pitieth them that fear Him.”
2) It is not what you can bring to God, but what He wants to give to you.
2. The worship of the Father is only possible to those who have the Spirit of Sonship. (Gal. 4:6-7; Matt. 11:27)
1) O.T. saints never personally appropriated the name of child or called God his Father.
III. IT IS THE ONLY PLACE WHERE PRAYER CANNOT BE FRUITLESS
1. He has promised open reward (Heb. 11:6)
2. He knows –
1) Will give us confidence to ask
2) Will give us patience to wait – Because He knows, then we Know. (I John 5:14-15)
My Father – IS – SEES – HEARS – KNOWS
1. This then is my highest joy – to be alone in secret
2. This gives strength day by day – He will reward openly
3. This gives liberty to bring to Him all my need – My Father knows.