Wednesday, September 22, 2010
1 milk glass vase;
2 deep frames (that I hope to display some keys in);
2 small black mirrors; some small books I needed for stacking (plan to paint and stamp them);
2 nice shaped bottles; and one glass “thingy” that I hope to use as a dome;
1 large bird cage (YES… the flowers are being trashed!!);
2 white glass candle holders;
2 small matching angel vases;
1 bird dish (top comes off);
1 globe (my favorite find... cost $4.95 – going to antique it);
1 decorative shelf (but going to use it in a different way);
1 small bird cage with bird on top;
1 small glass bell with bird on top; and
1 white bird.
PHEW!!! Not bad at all for a Tuesday!!!
I’m really excited that I’m FINALLY getting to the point where I can start displaying/using some of these treasures. It seems like the painting and redecorating has been going on FOREVER!!! Having been ill for so long, I have had to take it slow and easy to get everything done. Trying to look through all the boxes I have stashed away has proven to be a bit difficult, so I decided to set out everything in my dining room. It’s been so long since I’ve seen some of these things that it’s almost like going shopping in my own house!! LOL I’m almost embarrassed to show you this, but this is what my dining room looks like right now. Keep in mind that I am pretty much redoing our entire downstairs, plus a bathroom upstairs, AND I've been collecting this items for quite a while (yes, I’m trying to justify all this stuff!!!) Plus... there are still a bunch of frames and a couple more boxes in the garage. And just in case you’re wondering… this is BEFORE I bought the stuff today. I’m sure that you can understand that I DID need all the
Keep in mind that almost everything you see was bought on sale… either purchased at Goodwill, garage sales, or 80% to 90% off at Hobby Lobby. I would NEVER have been able to get all these things at full price!! I can’t wait to put everything together!!
Thursday, September 9, 2010
As I have been going through recent posting out there in “blog world”, many of you are embracing the fact that “Fall” is upon us. You happily talk about the leaves turning all their beautiful shades of yellow, red, and orange. You’re looking forward to curling up in front of the fire with a good book, all wrapped up in a snuggly blanket or one of your favorite sweaters, while sipping on a delicious cup of hot chocolate. Well, I guess it’s time I jump on the bandwagon and post my two-cents worth, so here goes…
WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE????
ARE YOU NUTS????
I HATE (with a passion) H-A-T-E – with a capital “H” FALL AND WINTER!!!!!!!!!
Oh my, there… I’ve gone and done it. I’ve gotten that off my chest, but now I’m sure I’ve offended all my new blogger friends. But seriously, think about it. What exactly does “Fall” mean???
- It means FALLING leaves!...They have color for a bit, but you know what? They quickly turn BROWN. Why do they turn brown???? Because they are DEAD… D-E-A-D!!
- It means the trees will soon be bare!!!
- The grass will no longer be green.
- The pretty-colored flowers will be replaced with yellow and orange ones (YUCK)
- WINTER will soon set in!
- You will be wrapped up to your eyeballs and still have your shoulders hunched up to your ears because you are so cold. (In fact, I’m sure I’m about 2 inches shorter during the winter months because my head is scrunched into my neck!)
- Driving will become hazardous!
- Beautiful snow or ice-laden trees will snap under the weight.
- White snow on the roads will quickly be replaced with dirty slush!
- With each new snowfall you must go out and clean off your car and shovel your driveway..
- You have to soak in a hot bathtub just to get the chill out of your bones.
- Your feet are always cold when you get in bed and it takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R to warm up!
- Daily exercise must now be confined to your home instead of enjoying the great outdoors.
- You can’t just walk out the door; you have to take 10 minutes to bundle up!
- You have to stand out in the freezing cold, with the wind blowing 50 mph, just to brush off the snow or scrape the ice off the windshield. (Only to have it freeze back up on you as you’re driving.)
- Your car just never seems to get warm enough.
- The beautiful tan that you worked on all summer fades to a pasty white.
- Pumping gas is put off as long as possible because you can’t even THINK about getting out there and filling your car up.
- Your car is covered in salt and trying to wash it any time before April will cause the locks to freeze up!
- It’s dark when you wake up, and it’s dark by the time you eat dinner.
- No sun to help your mood!
- And yes, even those nightly cups of hot chocolate can add on a pound or two.
- WORST OF ALL??? WAY too cold to do any spray painting – thus many DIY projects are put off until Spring!!!!!!
I know, I know… there are those of you out there that will talk about all the wonderful smells of the season – pumpkin pie, the pine from the Christmas Tree, gingerbread cookies, etc. Did you EVER think about buying a nice scented candle??? Heck – you can get almost any smell you want. Oh, and you talk about the beautiful fall colors. I honestly think I’m allergic to brown and orange because I used it so much when I first got married in the 70s. Come on… if you’re old enough to remember “Harvest Gold” and “Avocado Green” appliances you KNOW what I mean!!! GAG ME!!!
Now as for me, I MUCH prefer Spring and Summer. After all, it brings us:
- New life
- Green grass (ok, this year due to dry weather it’s been rather “brown”)
- Multi-color flowers
- Beautiful GREEN trees
- Being able to open the windows to get some fresh air and hear the birds chirping.
- You can throw on shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops and be out the door, into the car, and half-way to the grocery store in the same amount of time you would still be dressing in layers during the winter!
- You can get in the car immediately, open a window or two while the air conditioner cools off the car.
- It is light when you wake up, and you have a WHOLE EVENING to play, exercise or work outside before it gets dark.
- You can choose to work on a tan, sit under a shady tree, or relax in your air conditioned home.
- “Sunshine” makes you happy!!!!!!!
Oh my, I could go on and on with the “Love Spring/Hate Fall” relationship, but I will spare you any more details. I have to believe that those of you who “love Fall” must live in the south where your evening temperatures drop to an “ungodly” 40 degrees or something. Try coming to the north and experiencing -10 degrees!! Why don’t we move you say? Caring for elderly parents, jobs, kids, grandkids… you know – all those things that make it next to impossible to pick up and move.
Well, now that I’ve offended all my dear blogger friends out there, I hope there is at least one or two of you that agree with me and will perhaps be kind enough to keep visiting my posts.
I guess I better sign off for now and get a few of those painting projects done while there is still light outside and it’s warm enough to paint, cuz the days are getting colder and shorter every day!!!!! Oh, how I wish I could just go into hibernation until Spring!! LOL!!!
Tuesday, September 7, 2010
I've had an idea in my head for a painting booth, so I was anxious to see if I could actually pull it off. Let me just tell you - before you read on any further - you are going to be EXTREMELY jealous!! This is definitely a "one-of-a-kind" painting booth. Perhaps you might have seen one of my "Thrifty Finds" back in July... this is what I posted:
Finally, something I know everyone is going to be extremely jealous about.
Don'tcha just LOVE the pink floral sheet? And the netting canopy is just "to die for"!!!! Ohhhhhh, the PROJECTS I can do with these things.
WAIT!!!!! I can hear your screams all the way through my computer. You're probably saying, "Just when we thought she was getting into this whole blogging and shabby chic thing, she goes and buys this????" Never fret my friends.. DON'T quit following my blog... I DO have something WONDERFUL in mind for this, but it doesn't have anything to do with decorating. Well, yes it does, but not really. Oh, I don't know - you'll just have to wait until I can complete my project and post a blog on it. It only cost me $9 for this project, so if it doesn't work out I haven't lost a whole lot. Guess we'll just have to see how it goes. Be sure to check back!!!
Ok, so today is the day that these little beauties FINALLY came into use and turned into my latest project - a painting booth!!! YEAH!!! This is what I did...
Thursday, September 2, 2010
|A little desk light that I figure will look cute with a coat of Heirloom White spray paint. Their dog chewed off the cord, so I was able to pick it up for the low, low price of $.20!!|
|Four sterling silver spoons and a relish fork. ($.10 each)|
|Two white vases and one glass top. Yes, I know the glass top does not belong on there - it's only on there for the picture. I figured at $.10 I couldn't pass it up. The vases were $1.00 for the pair.|
|Cute little bottle which can easily be fixed up with a picture from the Graphics Fairy and maybe a little twine. $.10|
|Nice little clock - $1.00|
|Roll of textured vinyl wallpaper. I know of several projects I can use this on. - $.10|
|I needed a basket for some towels in my bathroom. I think this will work nicely. $1.00|
We're getting closer to actually USING all these things as my remodeling is starting to come together.