Monday, June 28, 2010

Goodwill Jewels - Project #3

One day as I wandered through one of our local Goodwill stores, I spied a round wood and metal thing.  (I'm not really sure what you would call it.)  I was relatively new to the whole "trash to treasure" thing, so I glanced at it but continued walking around.  I went back and looked at it again, stood there and thought, "I'm sure one of those girls in blog land would think of something really cleaver to do with this - but what could I do?"  (This is the original decoration laying on my carpet.)


I finally turned it over to check out the price and almost knocked over a lady as I turned to put it in my cart!  Check this out.  It had the original price tag still on it...
 

This is the price I purchased it for...


I figured at that price I could find SOMETHING to do with it!  When I was looking for something to put above my toilet in my master bathroom (the toilet is in a separate little room) I pulled it out and thought about what I could do with it.  The first thing I knew I had to do was paint it.  I decided to give it a coat of "Heirloom White" spray paint.  I made sure that the wood on the outside received a fairly good coating of the paint, but I was not as careful about the metal on the inside.  I wanted some of the original metal to show through rather than being solid white.  Once it was dry I tried it above the toilet.  It was pretty, but it really did not add any life to the area and did not stand out on the wall.  I had a nice piece of brown fabric which I was using in my bedroom, so I thought I would see what it looked like behind this round decoration.  I liked the looks of it, so I went ahead and stapled the fabric to the back. 


When I put it above the toilet it brought a lot more life to the wall and I decided I really liked it.  I was SO PROUD of myself that I had taken a $2 (questionable) purchase and had turned it into something I was proud of.  I understand it's not a BIG transformation, but hey... it's a start!!!
 

1 comment:

Your comment will be posted after review.