Monday, January 3, 2011

Christmas 2010… Just a memory (and a few... actually a LOT of pictures!)

Well, 2010 ended on a rather difficult and unusual way.  It will be one for the memory books – that’s for sure!!  At the beginning of December I started pulling out all our Christmas decorations, with visions of FINALLY getting all the redecorating done once and for all.  You know how it is, you actually start out by making a BIGGER mess, and it takes forever to figure out what goes where, rearrange everything until it's just perfect, and then clean up all the mess you made. 

Things started out ok – I was able to create my first tablescape, ordered a few gifts online (even started to wrap them with special packaging) and had purchased the supplies to make a bunch of DIY gifts.  Unfortunately, those best-laid plans came to a screeching halt when I received a call from “Lifeline” and was told that my mother-in-law had activated her alarm.  She went into the hospital for the next 2 weeks, then was transferred to a nursing facility.  She has COPD and Alzheimer's, which has been made MUCH worse since she’s been sick.  It proved to be a very rough few weeks… trying to get everything done for company, make the gifts, etc., etc., etc.  I was sick as a dog on Christmas day, and to top it off, my husband and I both got sick on New Years Day, and are still fighting stupid fevers and colds. 

Sooooo, as you can see, there has not been a lot of time for “blogging”.  Shoot – I really wanted to post all the projects that I finished during this whirl-wind month.  So, if you will indulge me, I’m going to go ahead and post those pictures now... better late than never as they say!!  Considering everything that was going on, and how many nights I worked into the weeeeeee hours of the morning, I think everything turned out pretty good.  Perhaps not the way I originally thought, but nice none-the-less.  There are still redecorating projects yet to be completed, but hopefully I can get these completed within the next few months.  Anyway – here we go:

I had posted pictures of my first tablescape, but at that time I didn’t have a tablecloth or my place settings, so I thought I would show the final pictures here.  Added a white tablecloth, two napkins (one white, one black) bound together with some pretty rhinestone napkin rings and my good china.  I don’t usually use my good china in the kitchen, but I wanted the white and silver, so it was exactly what I needed.
CIMG3785

CIMG3776

CIMG3780
Added in our initial with a little more “bling”.
CIMG3786
Moving on to the kitchen, here’s a little vignette and a few other little decorations.
CIMG3759

CIMG3756

CIMG3758
 One of MANY Santa's you will see throughout the house.  Just love having a special little fella all dressed up and ready to help in the kitchen!!!
Santa 1 CIMG3761
A BIG old rusty spoon - picked up at a garage sale for $.50 became a perfect little hanger for my apron. 
CIMG3753
CIMG3754 
CIMG3752
The little bird cage was one of my "Thrifty Finds" some time ago.  It's "Supposed" to be turned over, on the wall as a shelf, but I felt it was perfect to make into a cage and sit flat against the wall.
CIMG3766
Recognize the silverware wall art?  It was just PERFECT for this space.  (Please don't pay any attention to my curtain-less window.  Sill working on that one!
CIMG3767
This is the ledge between my kitchen and dining area.
CIMG3775 CIMG3771 CIMG3772
You know that paper they use at Hobby Lobby or Marshall's to wrap your stuff in?  Well it works perfect to use on various projects.  For this candle I just used a piece, stamped on it, and then put it on the candle along with the ribbon.  Turns a plain candle into a real decoration.
CIMG3773
Didn't do a lot in this area other than sticking a few flowers in this pitcher, along with some antique spoons.
CIMG3774
My sweet hubby helped me make this shelf to go above the ledge.  I actually used MY OWN power saw to cut the wood and mitre the molding around the edge.  I'm getting to be quite handy with the power tools!!
CIMG3747

CIMG3750 
This little Santa sat watch over us on my new shelf.
CIMG3749

CIMG3816
This table separated my eating area from the family room.  In keeping with my new black and white theme that I had going, I just HAD to get this new Santa this year.  When I saw his gray suit I snatched him up quick as a wink and brought him home.
CIMG3733

CIMG3734

CIMG3735

CIMG3736 CIMG3737
I've never even had a chance to share my first hutch makeover, but here is it.  I'll post more about it later, but I absolutely love the way it turned out. 
CIMG3741

CIMG3743
We found the "Garfield" street sign at a flea market.  I was born and lived some of the most memorable years of my life on Garfield.  Sweet memories every time I see it!
CIMG3742

CIMG3746 CIMG3745
Don'tcha just love the little Santa with his striped PJ's to match my candy canes???!!!
CIMG3744
This is a look at my entry way and another couple of pieces of furniture I've redone and never posted about.  I'm not quite done with either of the pieces (obviously since there are no knobs on the chest) shown below, so once they are completed I'll post about them with the before and after pictures. 
   CIMG3791 CIMG3792 CIMG3793 CIMG3795
Even some "goodies" for Santa to snack on!
CIMG3794 
This is the other piece in my entry.  Perfect spot for me to hang the ice skates I decorated.  (Yep... more on the skates later too!)
CIMG3796 CIMG3804 CIMG3797 CIMG3798 CIMG3800
Obviously the chairs are yet to be redone... hey - at least I got them painted!!  I have the fabric, just no time to get them done.  Now my biggest fear is that I've taken them apart and will forget how to put everything back together again. 
  CIMG3818 CIMG3805
This is my beautiful new WHITE couch that I purchased for the living room.  This is NOT a slip cover, so it's pretty much off limits unless you have clean hands, clean pants, and DEFINITELY NOOOOO beverages in hand!!!!  WHOOPS!!!  Didn't realize the Santa pillow was upside-down until I started posting these pictures. 
CIMG3806 CIMG3807 CIMG3808 CIMG3809 
One Santa on the right side of the couch, and another Santa on the left.
CIMG3811 CIMG3812 
Oh, and another sitting atop the hutch in the living room.
CIMG3814
As well as a Santa on the desk...
CIMG3815
Oh, and one more on the piano (yes! I love Santa!!) 


CIMG3846 
Moving into the Dining Room.  I absolutely love, Love, LOVE the pale yellow and white that we just recently redid.  I used cream, gold, and blue accents.
CIMG3845 CIMG3823  CIMG3825  CIMG3827 CIMG3828 CIMG3829
My Mom thought it was funny that I put a snowman in my birdcage.  I told her it was "climate controlled"!!  LOL
CIMG3830  CIMG3832 CIMG3833  CIMG3835  CIMG3837
This is my husband's beloved High Wheel bike (yes, he DOES ride it!!).  Not sure if this will be it's final "resting place" or not.  It's kind of hard to find the right place for something this large!!!
CIMG3838  CIMG3840 CIMG3841 CIMG3842 CIMG3844 GEDC2276 
The centerpiece in the Dining Room had some special elements... old family photos.
I made these small family photo frames a number of years ago (sometime I'll have to explain how I made them).  Everyone sitting at the table enjoyed looking at the pictures and trying to figure out who was who.
CIMG3855 CIMG3856
GEDC2257

GEDC2258

CIMG3857
I used a few photos on the buffet as well.
CIMG3858
Of course there was another Santa!  LOVE his cream and gold outfit!
CIMG3859
Clock was a thrifty find, as was the bugle that holds a silver and gold ornament.
CIMG3860 CIMG3861 CIMG3862 CIMG3864 CIMG3874 CIMG3875  GEDC2237 
WHAT???  No Santa sitting atop my china cabinet???  Nope - used my beautiful angel for this one. 
GEDC2240
 GEDC2245  
I added in a few sprigs of greenery to finalize the decorations on the napkins.  Oh, there there are the individual parfaits that I made for each person. 
Oh, I just have to show you my pretty glassware.  Isn't it beautiful??!!!  I have eight place settings of 7 different sizes.  Cost me a pretty penny???  NOPE!  Not ONE CENT!!!  It was a curbside find - thanks to my sweetie-pie hubby!!!!  Yep, he's on the lookout for great finds too!!!!
Before we leave the dining room, I have to show you what I'm doing with the chairs.  I'm in the process of redoing them, but due to unforeseen circumstances have only completed two.  I'm going from this...
GEDC2252
to this!!!!  I'm looking forward to getting them all done.
GEDC2253       
Finally, into the Family Room.  I would have liked to purchase all new stuff for the tree - to match my new style and color of decorating, but no $$$ for that, so it's the same old stuff as I have used.  I think that it still looked fine.
These pictures were taken AFTER Christmas, so presents had already been opened.


 This table has not been done yet, but hopefully I can get to it soon.
This is what ALL my packages were SUPPOSED to look like.  Yeah... that didn't happen.  Because of sickness and everything else going on, my hubby finished wrapping all the gifts.  It's safe to assume that they looked NOTHING like this!!!!

 I was making gift tags for each package with photos of the recipient... most of the pictures were from the past.  I made them not only as gifts tags, but so they could be kept and used as ornaments.

  
Well, that's it folks... that should have kept you occupied for some time.  I've found that it's a lot harder to catch up on posting than trying to keep up every few days.  PHEW!!!!  I have a lot of projects that I need to break down by showing the "before" and "after" pictures.  HOPEFULLY I'll get to those real soon.

I hope that all of you had a wonderful Christmas and pray that you will have a BLESSED 2011!!!!!

I would LOVE to hear what you think about all the decorating I did.  Geeeezzzz, it seems like I JUST put them up (which I did), and now I have to take it all back down.  :-(  So sad!!!!

I'm going to link up with a few parties to "strut my stuff"!!
  Get Your Craft On Tuesday  The Best Part Of Believe     




Signature

4 comments:

  1. Everything is just so pretty. I like your candle wraps, your gift wrapping is my favorite style. Your modified "cage" is such a great idea... I'm glad things are getting back to normal. Blessings, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is so beautiful.. WOW! I'm ashamed of the little bit of decorating that I do now... Hope you and the hubby are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi sweet friend...

    I just got your email and came right over! I couldn't wait to see all of your Christmas decor! Ohhhh my goodness, Debbie...your entire home looks absolutely gorgeous all dressed up for Christmas!!! I don't even know where to start! Hehe! You know, I just love all of the colors in your home...love that beautiful, soft aqua...and soft buttery yellow, and cream...ohhh, it's sooo dreamy! Very elegant and so serene all at the same time! I think that the black and white Christmas color theme that you chose looks sooo pretty with the soft aqua! Very frenchy, my friend! I love the black and white Christmas table that you did!!! Of course, your table centerpiece just steals the entire show! Hehe! I love it!!! Love that beautiful table cloth and your china...GORGEOUS!!! I also really enjoyed your Christmas table in the dining room! Again, your centerpiece was sooo very beautiful! What a great idea...to add old family photos to the centerpiece! I bet the family had lots of fun with that! Love that idea! I will be committing that one to memory for sure! I just adore your aqua dishes, my friend! They certainly set a beautiful table! Love how you decorated your dinner napkins with the greenery and such...very, very pretty!!!

    Well...this tour was such a treat! I think it may have been the first time that I really got a peek into your beautiful home! Ohhh...and it is sooo very beautiful! I loved getting to see all of your Christmas vignettes...you really outdid yourself, Debbie!!! Ohhh...and you know that I loved getting to see all of your Santas! You have a GRAND collection!!! I love your newest Santa and you're so right...he was perfect with your Christmas color theme and decor!!! Do you know that I have a Christmas angel that is very similar to yours? Go figure...hehe! I put her in my Tea Rose bedroom for Christmas.

    Wow...I loved getting to see some of your completed projects as well! Love, love, LOVE how your hall tree or the piece that is in your entry..turned out! Ohhh yes...you'll have to do a tutorial on your pretty skates!!! Love those! Ohhh my goodness...you really did have a bunch of furniture redo's going on! Love your entryway chest and your dining room chairs! They all look fabulous! I am sooo impressed with your pretty shelf that you put up above the doorway! That turned out beautiful and I love how you displayed it with your pretty dishware too! My friend, you are such a creative and talented lady!!! I sure wished that we lived closer...I would love to get a few pointers from you! Especially with the furniture refinishing stuff!

    Debbie, I am soooo glad that you posted your Christmas home! Sooo much better late...than never at all! This tour was just breathtaking!!! Thank you for sharing your gorgeous home and all of your beautiful Christmas decor with us...this has truly been a treat, sweet friend!!!

    Love ya,
    Chari

    PS...I was so sorry to hear that ya'll had been sick over the holidays! That's just terrible! And I hope that your mother-in-law is doing better! I'm still praying, sweet friend!!! Ohhh...and I will go and take a photo of my Santa that you gifted me with and send it to you! I am soooo enjoying him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh...and you know what? Our design tastes really are sooo much alike! I could move into your beautiful home and not change a thing and be perfectly happy! Hehe! Gotta love it!

    Love ya, sweet friend!
    Chari

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be posted after review.